Tuesday, April 16, 2013

a teacher's perception


Last week, my class with these students came to an end. I had 6 weeks of intensive English training with them and it was most of the time, "interesting" (Johnny -my student from Thailand, 2013). As they are from different countries -- Thailand, Brazil, Vietnam, Korea, Japan-- the cultural diversity is very rich, adding up to the dynamism of the interaction. They shared many things about their cultures during the class and even during breaks, making almost everyone feel awe as they had new discoveries about each other's cultures. For sure, misunderstandings (or non-understandings), confusions and disagreements existed, but at the end of the day, I could observe that these people showed respect, consideration and patience towards each other.  

Moreover, not only was the class dynamic and diverse,  but it is also enriching since it  provided me an opportunity to erich my love for travelling, in a virtual way. I did not have to book a flight to go to their respective countries and experience their cultures. By their mere presence in the classroom, I was able to explore different preferences, ideologies, behaviors and traits, social relations and the like all influenced and shaped by their respective cultures.

I have been teaching international students for many years now and it has always been a great experience. All the exchanges, differences, misunderstandings, and adventures in meeting learners of diverse backgrounds make my teaching experience thrilling, challenging and ofcourse, rewarding.


virtual wanders: Thailand, Brazil, Vietnam, Korea, Japan
wonder:

I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides
and my windows to be stifled.
I want all the cultures of all lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible.
But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

0 comments:

Post a Comment